The role of a Team Coach is to help players develop rugby league skills and positive attitudes to physical activity and sport generally.
It is normal to have a Team Coach allocated to each team. The Coach should be able to communicate and should be a sound organiser. The Coach should also have some knowledge about the rules and skills of the game and be able to organize team players so that they gain benefit from their involvement.
The Team Coach must be aware of the various Codes of Conduct and must implement and support those Codes at all times.
1. Encourage players and team support officials to abide by the rules at all times.
2. Encourage support and respect of the club’s Codes of Conduct.
3. Encourage players to become involved as a safe, healthy and enjoyable activity.
4. Introduce programmes to improve player fitness levels for a healthier lifestyle.
5. Encourage players to develop a proper attitude to competitiveness and fair play.
6. Ensure players develop an acceptable Code of Conduct both on and off the field.
7. Test, evaluate and develop each player’s individual skills.
8. Ensure appropriate training, training locations, days and times.
9. Foster club spirit amongst all players and encourage dedication and achievement.
10. Set high but realistic goals for players and encourage dedication and achievement.
11. Enhance feelings of self-confidence and self-esteem within the players.
12. Ensure the players perceive they are in control of their own performances.
13. Encourage maximum participation.
14. Liaise with the club’s committee regularly.
15. Liaise regularly with Head Coach.
16. Support Club and Junior League coaching initiatives.
17. Have a sound understanding of the Junior League Rules and Regulations.
18. Have a good working knowledge of the club’s Constitution and Rules.
19. Be aware of the future directions of the club.
20. Be motivated towards self-development in technical areas of coaching.
21. Undertake personal training and updates to achieve and retain appropriate qualifications.
22. Have good motivational and communication skills.
23. Be able to evaluate player performance and provide positive coaching advice.
24. Educate, support and encourage all club members to respect and support the club and its Codes of Conduct. Insist on all members and parents respecting and abiding by the club’s discipline provisions.